1.16.2008

authenticity and courage

for christmas i received some really great gifts, but i think my best to date were concert tickets from my brother. derek and i went to see patty griffin, emmylou harris, shawn colvin and buddy miller last night in asheville.

i cried before they even started singing. so it was good night:). it was actually one of the best nights i have had in a long time.

the stage was bare except for four chairs, mic stands, guitars and these crazy little monkeys that made noise. it was really evident that they wanted the music to make the show, and it did. i have had a real struggle worshipping lately and last night i felt like i loved jesus for the first time in a long time. in my head i know i love him, but i have a hard time getting any love out of my heart because of my grief. sometimes i blame him for my mom dying. but last night i felt joy in my heart and it was a nice feeling. i dont think i realized to what extent music affects me. it was really interesting that the concert had no "christian" labels on it, yet the honesty of the artists and the creativity and beauty that surrounded the stage was surely from God.

i love folk music because of that authenticity. they sing about real things, like pain and depression, yet also joy. my favorite part of the night was when they started talking about martin luther king, jr. (yesterday was his birthday). beforehand i had hoped that patty would sing 'up to the mountain', but then i knew she would. this was a song inspired by mlk. she started talking about courage and how we dont see it very much these days, and i agree, but kind of not.

i bought the cd with this song on it the day before my mom died and we used this song in her slideshow at the visitation. she was courageous. and i felt like last night in my heart i really honored her. gosh, i miss her so much. but i felt like i knew her again last night. if even just for a second.

-summer

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love you summer, especially YOUR authenticity. ~Cyndy

Mark and Denise said...

ditto. glad you had that night. now i have to go buy up the mountain on itunes so i can listen to it. (denise)