1.30.2008

i am that person

so when we (really me) decided to start a blog i had in mind that derek would do most of the writing because he is the funny one and obvi the better writer.  but because i am that person who stalks and gets antsy when other people dont post for a week, i figure i should probably write something too.

a few updates:

we have been getting a little angry with american idol because if they are going to turn derek away, then i figure every guy that made it is surely amazing.  but, no.  he is better and they missed out.  as for derek and his music, i think he has to sing.  its like he was made to do it.  or like he has to do it to survive.  because of all the years of hurt he is in a mental/spiritual block when it comes to writing music.  i am praying that god would allow music to be an outlet for him again.  for worship.  for our enjoyment.  its beautiful.  if you haven't seen this video, you should watch it... livekite.com/artist/stipemusic

i had my first photography class last night at abtech.  i walked in and there were like 37 old people with their digital cameras they got for christmas.  they didn't even know how to turn them on, so i was getting a little frustrated thinking it was going to suck.  it turned out to be really great and the teacher is hilarious.  i hope it makes me feel more confident and i can leave there knowing more about techniques and from there i can develop my style.  its exciting, but scary.

as for my heart, i am really just overwhelmed with all of the sadness in the world.  i have multiple friends dealing with depression and despair and one in particular whose mom is about to be diagnosed with cancer.  it just really makes me question why we have to hurt so much.  i know that jesus is with us and i feel him and he helps me.  but despite the sadness, god is teaching me about what it looks like to be his daughter.  i have never really understood this concept of 'sonship' but with this new life he has given me as a believer, i get to be his daughter and this changes EVERYTHING.  this is mind blowing actually.  more on that later.  its too much for my mind right now.

just a few recommendations:  

1.  favorite movie currently, atonement.  its amaaazing and beautiful and real. 
2. book, grace eventually by anne lamott.  i love every piece of her.  
3. oh and of course planet earth.  i got derek the dvd set for christmas and its also life changing.  i love animals for the first time.  its really incredible this world that god created for our enjoyment.  as emily says at the beginning of every episode, "we live on that thing."  i love her, she is also one of my recommendations:).

-summer

5 comments:

cyndy said...

so I have become a stalker as well... I love reading your blogs! I also love that you love animals now! haha

staci with an i said...

sum, i dont really love animals. and there's a dog who lives downstairs in my house. he's ok, i guess.

YOU are amazing and beautiful and real. and that derek can really sing. love the video.
love you.

Shawn said...

i listened to this video. he is very good and i think he really needs to try out again. make him. or he just needs to make it big somehow.

Shawn said...

that comment was from me, kalle, not shawn by the way.

denisha3000 said...

i'm so glad you're taking that class! also- i still hate animals. maybe I should watch planet earth and jesus will change my heart. ps. look at www.thebeautifulmess.com when you have a chance- it's our friend whitley's photos, a bunch from our wedding, but really good stuff.