1.16.2008

Take Two on Tuesday

if you haven't read summer's blog "authenticity and courage", then stop now and start there. it's great. :)

I'd really like to echo her thoughts about last night's show being one of the best christmas presents she'd received, and also, feel pretty grateful she chose me to accompany her. thanks babe.

musical authenticity. kinda scarce these days, when a lipsynced bimbo can get her voice auto-tuned in the studio and sell 10 bagillion records without ever writing one line of music or poetry in her life. it does make me sick, but i'll try to stick to positives this time... moving on...

last night was not the lipsynced bimbo, or anything close for that matter. 4 chairs, 4 artists, and a few more than 4 guitars (when you make money playing music, looks like you can afford more than 1 good one... heheh). Emmylou Harris started the night, and she, along with everyone else, was excellent. No light show, no stage props, antics, or anything... and I can honestly say that it was one of the best shows i've been to in recent memory. Entertaining PEOPLE, with talent, very unlike a My Chemical Romance fireworks show. (I would apologize to you MCR fans, but I'd rather not actually.)

and from the first note sung, it only got better. the artists pulled me in and i got lost in their songs, their stories, and i too felt a bit of the joy and worship that summer mentioned in her post. to me, it felt like a bit of reawakening, and as they performed, hundreds of song ideas for my own writing flooded my mind. It was as if i was taking back a piece of my musical soul that had been slowy eaten away for the past 7 years dealing with the music industry. in that moment last night, i desired to create again, desired to write music, and i felt more alive in a musical way than in a very, very long time. lets see you do that lipsynced bimbo and pyro-hounds.

Regretfully, it had to end, and tomorrow the ideas and life i experienced there may fade out, but at least i know it's still there. i'm just thankful God used 3 girls and their buddy to let me know i still had that desire and ability. I've certainly doubted it as of late.

and thank you Patty Griffin, for the most gripping performance of any song i can remember seeing. "Up to the Mountain" nearly moved me to tears, as i felt Summer's emotions as well as my own, and was captured in a way i can't really describe.

Live anywhere this show is coming? Go buy tickets. Now.

-derek

1 comment:

Derek Stipe said...

you have to create music. you were made to do it.

if that doesnt work out you could probably be a writer too because you are damn good at that too.

love love. sum