9.01.2008

Festivals Inc.


Well... the summer is winding down to its end. As you all lament on your inability to wear white for many months, hopefully a blog is just what you need to cheer you up. I know thats what I need. Ha.

So we have a few fun stories from the summer. (since the last blog anyways, the costa rican traffic cop, etc...) Too bad I probably can't remember many. :)

This summer has been a busy one, but the last month we've kinda relaxed a bit and enjoyed some time for ourselves. Our only road trips all came in one week, where we took 3 trips to Charlotte in 5 days...

#1. Stone Temple Pilots - When I was a kid, my first CD was Pearl Jam Ten, which probably changed my life... but i'm almost sure my second CD was STP Core, and that was big time. Loved it, and loved the band, and wanted to BE Scott Weiland (minus the reliance upon heroin to function :) ) So my buddy Justin hooked me up with a ticket and we got to be right up front for a show I thought I'd never see. They did break up 3 times or something, which is almost as much as Summer and I, but like us are back together for a reunion show. (well WE'RE not doing a show... but you get the point) It was amazing. Here's a pic of that night, some of you will enjoy, excluding Jared Clark, who told me "the 90's called, it wants its music back." :)



#2. Emily's birthday in Charlotte. Fun time at Nolan's Kitchen, followed by a John Mayer concert. Same place as STP, but about a 1/4 mile farther away. :) He's a great guitarist, but he took his shirt off and Summer thought that was hot. End of fun night for me. :) jk. Dude can play, even if he did seem a bit "under the influence."

#3. Summer's trip to move her little brother into college.... Lot of miles for 1 week.

------

This past weekend was our lovely hometown festival "The Apple Festival" where I think about a bajillion people come to a little piece of downtown to watch cloggers, parades with pickup trucks, and other assorted country-fied good times. But everyone's favorite, yours and mine, is festival food. I'm talking about the big fat lamb gyro, or the hot dog with hand cut french fries, or bbq. Makes me hungry thinking about it. You know you want some. We did, and we chowed down Saturday, chasing it with an apple slush, and a turtle caramel apple, which is probably the most amazing thing i've eaten in decades. (and they're available year round!) Then we climed up on top of my friends family store and watch people on the street from the rooftops. It was quite fun!

The whole weekend the plan was for Summer and Emily to buy each other a lovely birthday present. I designed their request, and on Labor Day we printed them at OfficeMax and headed off to get their TATTOOS.

Which was hilarious. My wife was adorable, and I think she probably made an impression on the tattoo shop guys. :) She nearly fainted at one point in the middle, and cracked them up the whole time, never failing to have something funny to say. Be sure and check her facebook for a picture album to go with the story. I'm sure Emily will have some pics up as well.




Summer will be writing about her experience soon. Stay tuned. :)

-Derek

1 comment:

em marie white said...

your high school reunion doesn't make the list of summer excitement? :)

thanks again, little designer.